Upcycling saves money and reduces our environmental footprint. It’s a great thing to do for our planet.
What is upcycling?
Upcycling is the process of taking old things and repurposing them to something new. This can be done with clothes, furniture, electronics, and just about anything else you can think of. Upcycling is a great way to save money and reduce our environmental footprint.
Why should we upcycle?
There are many reasons to upcycle. Upcycling saves money and reduces our environmental footprint. It’s a great way to reuse things that would otherwise be thrown away. Upcycling is also a great way to be creative and make something unique.
How can we upcycle?
There are many ways to upcycle. You can upcycle clothes by turning them into other clothes or accessories. You can upcycle furniture by painting it or upholstering it. You can upcycle electronics by taking them apart and using the parts for other projects.
What are some benefits of upcycling?
Upcycling is a great way to save money and reduce our environmental footprint. It’s a great way to reuse things that would otherwise be thrown away. Upcycling is also a great way to be creative and make something unique.
Let’s take a look at some ideas for what to upcycle into what, and even how to do it!
We’ll start with how to upcycle old bags into purses
1. Cut the bottom off of the bag to create a flat surface.
2. Cut the bag into two equal pieces.
3. Fold each piece in half and sew the sides together.
4. Turn the purse inside out and sew the top shut.
5. Add a strap by sewing it onto the purse or tying it on.
Now let’s upcycle a sweatshirt into a scarf
1. Cut the sleeves off of the sweatshirt.
2. Cut the bottom of the sweatshirt off.
3. Cut the neckline of the sweatshirt down to create a V-neck.
4. Turn the sweatshirt inside out and sew the sides together.
5. Turn the scarf right side out and enjoy!
Upcycle your old hoodie into a pillow
1. Cut the hoodie off of the sweatshirt.
2. Cut the sleeves off of the sweatshirt.
3. Cut the bottom of the sweatshirt off.
4. Sew the sides of the hoodie together.
5. Stuff the hoodie with pillow stuffing.
6. Sew the top of the hoodie shut.
7. Enjoy your new hoodie pillow!
Upcycle a backpack into a tote bag
1. Cut the straps off of the backpack.
2. Cut the bottom of the backpack off.
3. Fold the backpack in half and sew the sides together.
4. Turn the tote bag inside out and sew the top shut.
5. Add new handles by sewing them on or tying them on.
Upcycle a 55 gallon rain barrel into a garden planter
1. Cut the top off of the rain barrel.
2. Cut a hole in the side of the rain barrel for drainage.
3. Place the rain barrel on its side and fill with soil.
4. Plant your favorite plants in the rain barrel.
5. Enjoy your new garden planter!
High tech upcycle an apple watch band into a bracelet
1. Cut the band off of the apple watch.
2. Cut the end off of the apple watch band.
3. Cut a slit in the apple watch band.
4. Feed the end of the band through the slit.
5. Wear the apple watch band as a bracelet!
Difference between upcycling and recycling
Upcycling is different from recycling. Recycling is the process of breaking down something and making it into something new. Upcycling is the process of taking something and repurposing it into something new. So can everything be upcycled? Yes, just about anything can be upcycled. The sky is the limit.
Anna Lauer is a writer, gardener, and homesteader living in rural Wisconsin. She has written for Mother Earth News, Grit, and Hobby Farms magazines. Anna is writing a new book about growing your food for free and an ultimate guide to producing food at little to no cost. When she’s not writing or gardening, Anna enjoys spending time with her husband and two young daughters.